A shorter version of Shakuntala’s story from the #Mahabharata, retold from a slightly different lens.
Shakuntala was the wife of Duhshanta–the founder of the Pourava dynasty, and the mother of the great Emperor #Bharata, who was the founder of the Kuru lineage and ancestor of the #Kauravas and #Pandavas. #Shakuntala was a smart, intelligent and a feisty young woman, and she fell in love with King #Duhshanta. Their love story is unique and has inspired many works of Indian literature.
Listen to the story of:
- Shakuntala and Duhshanta’s meeting
- Their "love" marriage
- Duhshanta’s promise to Shakuntala
- Shakuntala’s confrontation with Duhshanta in his court
- Duhshanta’s eventual acceptance of his wife and son
- Shakuntala’s son named Bharata
#shakuntalam #shaakuntalam #dushyantha #indianmythology #podcastrecommendation #lovemarriage
The Mahabharata 1: Complete and Unabridged; translated by Bibek Debroy. (2015). Penguin Random House India. (Original work published 2010)